Wednesday, September 12, 2007

A letter to Winkie...

Dear dear Winkie,

I am writing this letter to you to remember and recollect a little incident that took place 3 nights ago. It was 3:00 Am, and me and your father were deep in sleep. And so were you, until the persistent wailing of your Thambi woke you. I am picturing how you must have lain in that sleep induced state for awhile, before finally realising what was happening. Thereupon, you got up and out of bed, padded across the room in the pitch dark, opened the door, walked across the passage, opened the door to our room, walked over to your father who was closest to the door, and tapped him ever so gently on the shoulder, and said...Appa, Sathya's crying...in a soft voice. And to me you said...Amma, put Sathya to sleep. Thereupon, you asked for permission to sleep on our bed and cuddled with your father, whilst I checked on Thambi. And when I returned, you linked hands with mine and stared at the ceiling in the dark, before the sound of your deep, even breathing reached my ears. I marvelled at how the bed became even more comfortable once your sleeping form lay on it. And we both loved waking next to you in the morning.

While sipping our coffee, we enjoyed reliving the whole incident all over again, and we plied each other for details. He recollected the gentleness with which you tapped him, thoughtful not to wake him roughly; I recalled your little silhouetted form outlined in the dark; he remembered the exact words you had said to him, and I recalled mine. And when you came downstairs, we searched your memory hungrily, to get a first hand account, of what you thought, what you felt and why you did what you did. Your answer was such a simple one. Because Thambi was crying...you said. You had a very goofy smile, sensing that you had done something that had pleased us immensely and you blushed. And I even told you that I thought you were very sweet and caring to have come to us like that in the middle of the night and I told you I was proud of you. You just giggled, like you had been tickled and forgot all about it the next instant. So amazing, this trait you have to simply move on. You move on easily, after a huge and raging storm we have had, and you move ahead just as easily, after a particularly happy moment. This equanimity is what makes you and other little ones like you so awe inspiring to all us adals.

And that is why I am writing this letter to you. So you can read it many many years later, and understand just how happy we felt about you that night, because right now, your childish innocence will not let you grasp how huge it was for us. You are such a good Anna, Winkie. Even if, yesterday night, you shooed me away while I was tucking you in, and asked me to attend to your crying Thambi instead, and I got all gooey with emotion, and asked you why you were doing that (expecting you to mouth this sweet line of how he needed me more)...and you said...because he is disturbing me, so make him stop Amma! Even so, you are a top notch bro, my little man. And a very honest one. Amen.

With love and fond remembrances,
Mumsie!

P.S. - Its been 2 whole weeks since you called home, young man! And where were you last night when I called your dorm room at 11:00 PM?

P.P.S - Oops! Sorry! Was just practicing! :D

28 comments:

Altoid said... Best Blogger Tips

Awwww sweet Anna and sweeter writeup!

btw I've practiced the "gustakhi ka dustakhi, dushmana dushmana dustakhi. khushmaniya dushmaniya gundu gundu bushmaniya!" to a tune :D - twas too much to pass;).

Now I'm curious to know how you sing it. Can you pliss post a audio clip of it? ;)

Moppet's Mom said... Best Blogger Tips

Awwwwww....!

*wipes away a tear*

DesiGirl said... Best Blogger Tips

awwwww! awww what a sweetie! what an absolute sweetheart u've got. and i am so happy with his answer "...because he was disturbing me.!" which makes him a little bit of an imp, and absolutely, 100% PERFECT!!!

WhatsInAName said... Best Blogger Tips

Gosh!
It cant get sweeter! I must show this to my girls today ... they have a round of wrestling everyday before sleep :(
You lucky mom !!! :D

Loved your p.s. :)

Yadu said... Best Blogger Tips

I don't think the P.S in the letter is going to be necessary for winkie.. he will be the kind of boy who will always call his mom,dad and his brother and let them know where he is...he seems like a very sweet, loving and honest kid.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

oh i MUST simply MUST show this to all those people who tell me - oh you are so lucky your children are well behaved because they are girls! it simply gets my goat.

soooo sweeeet.

love
d

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

So.. why did Sathya cry? I hope you would want to write that down in case Winkie asks you abt it when he reads this letter!! :)

Sweet Winkie and even sweeter parents! :)

-RJ

Suki said... Best Blogger Tips

I really, REALLY hope he thinks to read his Mumma's blog when he's an "all grown-up", angsting teenager. It helps to know you're loved, even when you want to be alone. :)

Kodi's Mom said... Best Blogger Tips

*wipes away a sentimental tear* and LOL!

aaah, the li'l boy is growing into a thoughtful, caring gentleman. *sniffle*

ps: I like the funny streak in T! keep it coming!

Sujatha said... Best Blogger Tips

Lovely, T.

The ability kids show to move on and the way they don't hold grudges never fails to amaze me or my husband.

W will love even years later that you wrote this down. And you will too, I'm sure. I surprise myself every so often when I travel down my archives.

Sahithi's Mom... said... Best Blogger Tips

awwwwww that is just sooo sweet Tharini. It is such an amazing quality kids have, to move on right....Just beats me..

But Sahithi is having trouble moving on from old to new school now for few weeks and rading this gave me hope that she WILL move on soon... Thank You

Sujatha said... Best Blogger Tips

T, The Chronicles of Little N's Quirks. It was fun! Thanks. :)

Also, sent you e-mail.

dipali said... Best Blogger Tips

Lovely lovely brother, awesome post!

Anju said... Best Blogger Tips

He sure will make a great bro!! It was so sweet of him not to be loud when he was trying to wake you guys up. He is a very sweet, loving kid.

choxbox said... Best Blogger Tips

what a lovely letter! loved your p.s. too!

mnamma said... Best Blogger Tips

so sweet of Winkie to wake you up like that! still smiling at his honest reply "he is disturbing me so make him stop Amma" I et he would be enthralled when he reads this several years down the line :)

Swati said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh that was so sweet of Winkie. You must have felt blessed.

Lovely post.

CW said... Best Blogger Tips

When he does read this several years dwn the road, you must do a post on that too..deal? Deal :-)

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

This is very surprising.. I have had the exact same experiences with my 2 boys. And the exact same response to 'not disturb his SLEEP'. Funny :)
btw, great blog !
Deepa

eve's lungs said... Best Blogger Tips

Lovely post .

Rohini said... Best Blogger Tips

Awwww... that just set off the 'time for a second baby' alert in my brain :)

mnamma said... Best Blogger Tips

Just did your tag Tharini :) It all started with 'mushtaqi'!

DotMom said... Best Blogger Tips

awwww.... what a great guy. its amazing how they can be so beyond their years..

rbdans said... Best Blogger Tips

awwww... sweet letter. Hugs to Winkie.

IBH said... Best Blogger Tips

that was way too sweet.... i said few posts ago...that you are grooming one extra nice gentleman...:) so i guess ur p.s will not hold good :)...i thinmk he wuld be sound asleep at 11 pm....in his dorm room :)

Squiggles Mom said... Best Blogger Tips

Aww what a sweetheart

Poppins said... Best Blogger Tips

Awww Aww Awww.. I missed reading all of you !! That was so so sweet and I loved the PS especially !

the mad momma said... Best Blogger Tips

and could he be any other way, with a mother like you? your sons are already being contested for by the rest of us with daugthers.

Post a Comment

Write to me!