Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Back to basics!

Resting in one place for extended periods of time has given me a chance to appreciate how simple shifts...simple changes can be so beneficial to the spirits. Advance apologies for yet another post belonging to the Castaway Series, but I find myself a little diminished of subjects to write about. :D

I have been living within the confines of the living room space for the past 6 days. Baths are simple sponge baths, and my bed is either the couch or the twin mattress which R shifted from the bedroom upstairs, depending on what I feel upto. The couch is narrower but easier because I don't have to put added pressure on my right leg when I stand up from its existing elevation. The bed is roomier and softer, but awful to get up from when you have sciatica.

Coming back to the mainstream thought, the couch has been my chosen abode for this recuperation so far. And from here, I can look out the windows and the patio door, watch the trees shift in the breeze, watch the sun rise and set, look at the wispy, leafy stems of my favorite moneyplant, keep an eye on the kids as they eat their meals, and order them about as needed, keep an eye on the stairs and the goings on there and also have a good view of the TV should that ever be switched on. And I enjoy it here for the most part. But of course you do get couch-sore after a while and the energy tends to stagnate with little movement and needs a little booster to re-circulate it.

Its amazing how a single shift of scene for even a short while can really achieve this reorganisation. A simple hobble-trip to the bathroom on my crutches gives me such a sense of fulfilment. Being able to get there, balancing myself well on one foot, doing it without exerting too much strain on my right foot, opening the door and trying to close it by myself behind me (this I have not been able to achieve fully yet but I will get there!), and being fully independent and able to do the rest of it all the way until I get back to my throne, is an exercise in exertion, discipline, stamina and optimism. Because its all too easy to think of how it would have just taken me 5 long strides to the bathroom, and under 3 minutes behind the closed doors, which now takes me a full 10 minutes and slip into that melancholic well. But slowly, with the passage of days, I have sort of forgotten my older way of life. The one where I used to rush and race and do things back to back, all at a dizzying pace of life. Now, multitasking is OUT OF THE QUESTION. I better focus on just one thing or I might take a fall. And its lovely to focus on just one thing and have the LUXURY of focusing on just one thing. Imagine, if all that needed 100% of your attention was to find a way to get those 5 paces to the bathroom and back, without incident, how simplified life has become??? My mind is decluttering automatically and has assumed an easy somnolence with life. A sweet feeling of don't worry, take it easy is my soundless mantra.

Remember that office chair I had bought and painstakingly assembled for R for his 35th birthday last year? Its serving as my wheelchair of a sort now. I hobble over and sit down on it and navigate my way around the kitchen and I can help chop some veggies or give my cousin a little company as she goes about her work. Yesterday, I spent some time on it looking out into the garage, as the kids played and ended up having the neighbours notice and pay their sympathies. That part was fun, playing the brave heroine to all their questions on how I manage.

Stiff muscles are a daily side effect of my stationary way of life. And heaven comes down on earth for those few moments when I arch my back and stretch those muscles, or roll my head in a cyclical rotation, or lean forward and do a nice cat stretch. Ahhhh! The life! Indescribable bliss! And its so simple. Which is what I love about it.

But of course, there are many challenges to this situation too. For one, I know weight gain will be an unavoidable effect of all this sitting. Sometimes, I end up ruminating on it too much and it stresses me and depresses me a little, but there is not much way to counter it substantially. I plan on doing some weights with my hands and keeping a part of the upper body toned. I want to catch up on my pranayama and meditation and keep my mind sharp and alert, yet relaxed. I know that this whole process of healing is not a simple straightforward one of 6 weeks and then finito. I know there's going to be physical therapy involved, and a period of being careful while testing my strength, a period where I have to build up my strength once more, a period of readjustment as I get back into mainstream daily life. But I guess all that can wait for now.

For all that these concerns are worth, I also know that this is such a special period for me. How often do you get a chance to lay back, do pretty much nothing and devote time to yourself when you are a mother and an adult??? So I am determined to make the most of it, and I think I have done a good job of it this first week. And while I am celebrating my return back to basics, the sweet suprises of life continue to pour. This morning I received 2 back to back shipments of books from two friends, enough to keep me busy for the next 5 weeks and onward too. Thank you both for this interesting enhancement to my bookshelf! :) Life in the slowlane is p.r.e.t.t.y d.a.r.n good!

12 comments:

Vidhur said... Best Blogger Tips

Brings back memories...2 weeks after I had a hip fracture(My kinetic was hit by an ambassador) I made it all the way to the bathroom and back without calling out to my husband or SIL(who had come down to help). I was almost dizzy from the exhaustion, but was was so excited..like I had taken my first steps EVER!
I had a friend who told me not to get too dependent on the crutch, once the fracture is healed..I found her advice very good.

Sheela said... Best Blogger Tips

How upbeat you sound, Tharini - exactly the reason I love you!

Reminds me decades ago in Madras, when I was in high school, when I had a hairline fracture on my right ankle - and those days there was no WC, and I hated bed pan... I shudder and wince just thinking about how I managed the elimination process in the old style Indian toilet... relying on my mom entirely for cleanliness and hygiene.

I just caught up on some of your posts and loved that post about Thambi - esp., imitating the parishejanam motions - how terribly cute!

You have such a wonderful outlook, and I assume a wonderful disposition, as they go together usually :) Keep it up dear girl.

As Vidhur said, try to cast away Ashes and Sparkly as soon as your doctors and therapists give you the OK.

Sheela said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh, and I forgot to add: your thought for the day today spoke my mind, totally resonated my recent thoughts - just in case you change the quote before you read it, here is the one:
" Oh, the comfort - the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person - having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but pouring them all right out, just as they are, chaff and grain together; certain that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and then with the breath of kindness blow the rest away. ~Dinah Craik"

nisha said... Best Blogger Tips

Get Well Soon and enjoy your resting phase :))

Anupama said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi,
time does go slow..especially if your movements are restricted.But make the most of your healing period and come out rejuvinated-both body and soul!!!
My 2 months in a cast turned out to be a much need "vacation' of sorts...especially for my sadly neglected soul..Happy healing!!!!

ps: ..would be honoured if you could check out my space

Deepa said... Best Blogger Tips

Hey Tharini, you're simply awesome to take this in your stride...instead of fretting over it!! Way to go girl!!!

Wow, cool collection of books I say...I can already see you steering ahead with a healed ankle in the next coupla weeks!!

Praying hard for you!!

Deepa

Neera said... Best Blogger Tips

Nice to see an update Tara ..am once again proud of u for taking it so well. Keeping u in my prayers for a speedy recovery :) Loads of love and hugs.

utbtkids said... Best Blogger Tips

T in Red, I agree how shifts in priorities can make us appreciate teh finer things we have taken for granted. I was thinking about the same, but on a different context.

On a lighter note, lets round up all those who have read Ponniyin Selvan and form a group :)

I love Lucy said... Best Blogger Tips

Nice to see that you are taking it one day at a time,T!
Just checking if you have had the chance to check your email...I sent you about 3 emails but haven't heard back...I hope I didn't scare you away!

Tharini said... Best Blogger Tips

Vidhur....your last line gives me the shivers! Do remind me about this again when I get to that stage.

Sheela : OMG. However did one manage in Indian Style toilets back then? That's one more thing I need to be huuuugely thankful for! :)
Glad you liked that TFTD. Its been ages since I changed it. I should!

Thanks Nisha. I will. :)

Anupama : I most certainly will. Thank you.:)

Deepa : Thanks. :)

Neera : Your prayers mean a lot to me. Thank you! :)

utbt : This is the English version now. Dont quite know how it compares to the original. But shall we create a new googlegroup for it? :)

ILL : Truly sorry. Haven't checjed my blog mailbox in awhile. Why do you feel that you would have scared me away? Please, don't think like that. :) I'll write back very soon.

utbtkids said... Best Blogger Tips

You are tempting me to write comparitive study betwen the English and the Tamil version. I have both, just don't ask me why.

Google grps sounds good. The members can have nick names based on the novel's characters. Between Alty and her sister we already have Kundhavai and Nandhini. I am in a limbo between Azhvarkadiyan Nambi and Ponnan's wife.

Boo, where are you?

You need to call dibs soon, good characters are selling like hot cakes :)

MiM said... Best Blogger Tips

ponniyin selvan -- should be read in Tamizh only.

It will blow you away.

http://maidinmalaysia.wordpress.com/2009/08/03/today-is-padhinettam-peruku/

Post a Comment

Write to me!