Thursday, October 15, 2015

Why he would make a good student council rep!

A conversation this morning with my son, who is thinking of running for student council as a class rep, and he is doubting himself, on whether he can make the speech in front of his whole class, whether he is popular enough to be voted on and whether his skin is too brown for it. 

And here I am wondering how he even got such an idea into his head, that he is too brown to be a rep. But then again, children pick up from their own observations and perceptions about themselves, and we get this little window every now and then to peep in and see how they feel in their own skin. 

And here I was trying to make him see exactly why he would be great as a class rep, given his creative side to come up with ideas all the time, to question things that don't make sense to him, and to ask all those endless questions of 'why' and 'why not'?!

"Why, even your teacher gave you a positive referral for this very thing, buddy," I say to him. "She commends the fact that you are always willing to share your ideas with the class."

He grew thoughtful. Brows knitted in concentration as he mulled the reason why she would have said that. And then a sudden smile of illumination. 

"Oh, I know why she said that!"

"Why, why why?" I poke eagerly, impatient to know the great glorious reason why he was so noticed for it.

"The other day, in class, we were talking about something 'man-made'. And I asked her about that!" he replied sagely.

"What? What did you ask her exactly? What?"

"I asked her why it couldn't be 'human-made' instead of 'man-made'. Even a woman could have made it right?"

Bowled. Over. Completely. 

And I could see why she would have been too.

We have never talked of feminism or equal rights or gender inequalities at home. This is original thinking, straight from the mad hatter's hat, untampered by nurture. And I am so darn glad for it.

"This is exactly why you should run for student council Sathya," I told him. "You are now thinking for all students, male and female."

He smiled. I could see that small flicker of confidence born in him. He was toying with the idea of being voted as rep. I could see that fantasy playing itself out in his head. 

My job was done. He has gone in to brush and groom himself for school. Fingers crossed, when he comes out, it will be with a rough draft of a speech in his head! Wish me luck! More importantly, wish him luck!

5 comments:

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Dear Tharini,

After a long time a post from you.. !!! so baby Sathya is now all grown up and standing for student rep election??? Oh my GOD time for sure flies... how did it go? please update the post.

How is Akhil? he must be 12 now !!!

My loads of love and wishes to you and boys

Sujatha Ramesh

Tinkerbells said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi,
I am a regular reader of your blog, but have never commented before. I was quite sad when you stopped writing. Today, came back here and saw this post - realised your kids have all grown up ! All the best to Sathya...

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Tharini, are your parents ok in Thruvanmiyur? what about in laws?

Sujatha

Tharini said... Best Blogger Tips

Sujatha...they are doing quite fine. They were with me here in the US at that time. Could you please email me on tharinid@gmail.com?
I would love to catch up with you off the blog.

Tharini said... Best Blogger Tips

Thank you dear readers....who took the time to read and comment on my sparse posts here. It feels like a world ago. Yes the kids have all grown up and I am happy to say I am growing up too. :D

Post a Comment

Write to me!